Dental diseases are the most prevalent and the most neglected of all the chronic diseases affecting mankind and in country after country. We are still falling behind in our efforts to protect people’s oral health, and we still undoubtedly continue to fail until we begin to use the fullest of all methods available to us for the prevention of oral diseases. In a developing country like Nepal, oral diseases are one of the common problems of health due to lack of education and awareness. More than 75% of the population is deprived of oral health services and education. And in this context, rural people sufferer more due to added disadvantage of low accessibility to information, health services, transportation etc.
Health Care Reform emphasizes primary care and prevention. Dental care has always been guided by these objectives. “Dental education must stress the importance of meeting the oral health of all individuals”. The academy’s mission is to educate and train students to ensure excellence in the practice of the art & science of the dental profession. This requires graduates to be technically skilled, knowledgeable in the biological sciences, compassionate, and sensitive to the need of all patients and the community. The academy fosters innovative teaching, research, scholarship and community service. Furthermore, the academy instills an inquisitive mind set and the need for lifelong learning among its faculty and students. The academy offers Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) course with 60 admissions per year.
1. Kantipur Dental College Teaching Hospital & Research Centre (KDCH) was established in the year 2007. The academic session commenced in the year 2007 with an intake of 40 students.
2. KDCH is conducting BDS course. Its associated Hospital is having 100 beds and is located in same building. It provides extensive clinical facilities to the students for learning at both, rural and urban centers.
3. KDCH is affiliated to Kathmandu University (K.U), BDS course. It has been recognized by the Nepal Medical Council and the Government of Nepal Ministry of Education / Health and Population.
4. Highly qualified and experienced Faculty.
5. Excellent academic performance of students.
6. Patients examined/treated in extension activities in many of the dental camps.
7. Linkages with associate organization Kantipur Oral Health Education Foundation, Kantipur School of Dentistry Kathmandu, Kantipur Institute of Health Sciences Pokhara, Kantipur Dental Hospital and Research Centre Maharajgung Kathmandu and Gandaki Rural Community Hospital Shyangja.
8. The Institution comprises of all requisite departments, laboratories, museum, library with a plethora of periodicals and reference books. All the facilities, like the hostel, cafeteria and buses for transporting and dental camps.
Regular CDE programs, guest lectures, symposiums, workshops and dental expos are conducted.
Kantipur Dental Hospital